Thursday, February 5, 2009



MORE THAN A MASSAGE, ROLFING WORKS DEEP IN THE TISSUES TO EASE PAIN AND IMPROVE OVERALL HEALTH. BY PAIGE DeRUYSCHER

I'll admit it: When I told my friends I was going to get Rolfed,there were some strange looks in the crowd: "There goes 'granola girl' with another one of her weird ideas," the said.

However,by the time I'd completed this unique series of bodywork sessions, no one could deny the incredible benefits I'd experienced. (Plus, Oprah featured it, which always helps!)

Rolfing is a form of bodywork that addresses the fascia-the soft connective tissues that hold our bones in place. Its goal is to restore our bodies to their natural, healthiest and most efficient alignment.

When I showed up at Kinetikos Bodyworks Therapy in Lawrence, I knew I needed some deep physical restoration. I had ignored my body for years until something got out of whack and then I'd find a quick fix for whatever part had malfunctioned.

Rolfing introduced a completely different way to experience my physical self. It wasn't about getting a little physical tune-up; it was about restoring my balance as a whole person-physically, mentally, emotionally, even spiritually-and learning that every part of me connects with every other part.

WHAT HAPPENS IN A SESSION
Like massage, Rolfing involves hands-on manipulation by a practitioner. But instead of focusing on muscles alone, a Rolfer works deeply with connective tissues to help completely realign the structure of the body.

This is most commonly done through the "10 series"-a series of 10 weekly appointments that focus on all areas of the body and their connections.

Rolfers are trained to address the whole person-to partner with clients in the healing process and educate them about how to move in healthier ways.

My own practitioner, Holly, took great interest in my overall well-being and became a kind of mentor during our time together. She was passionate about helping me to experience greater awareness of my body in my day-to-day life.

WHO CAN BENEFIT?
From young children to senior adults and anyone in between. Just as many of us are affected by the emotional baggage we carry, our physical selves are also compromised over time by various injuries, chronic stress and repetitive daily activities (like using a computer or carrying a child).

Our freedom of movement decreases so gradually, we don't even realize how limited we've become!

Rolfing is as much about prevention as it is restoration-it supports those with a history of injuries and trauma, but also helps individuals of all ages to maintain vitality.

People of all ages-even children, can develop a healthier sense of self the more in tune they become with their bodies, and can avoid many of the common complaints of aging-backaches, neck pain and other manifestations of stress.

Many older people can find relief from chronic pain and debilitation for the first time in years.

My practitioner, Holly, says that her greatest satisfaction as a Rolfer is seeing a person walk in one way and leave as a healthier, more empowered, balanced individual.

Local Resources
Kineitkos Bodywork Therapy
Holly Krebs-Certified Rolfer
Liz Krull-Advanced Certified Rolfer
920 Massachusetts Ste 3
Lawrence KS 66044
785-832-1720
www.kinetikos.net

Kansas City Area
Kelly Clutter
913-449-0189
www.kcrolfer.com

Cathy Schulte
816-550-0268